Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks are known around the world as a fantastic event. It is a great time to get the feel of all that Sydney has to offer.
Are you coming to Sydney for New Year’s Eve 2018 and are wondering how to find the best locations to see the fireworks?
Have a look at the City of Sydney map for locations of parks where you can watch the fireworks. This is the best map available with comprehensive detail, and it also gives the locations of the pontoons where the fireworks are lit.
Some of the sites are ticketed, but there is a great selection of free sites available as well. Please note that you need to get in very early on the 31 December to get a (good) spot!
Generally the eastern side of the Harbour Bridge gives the best view. You can get a great view from lots of parks on the southern and northern side of the harbour bridge.
Most people take a picnic but drinks and food are often available onsite in the parks. Some sites don’t allow to bring your own alcohol (BYO) and real glasses, some sites are completely alcohol free, so if you are planning to toast the New Year with a glass of champagne check the details in the map in advance!
If you don’t feel like spending the day getting a good spot in a park with a great view then some of the alternative options are
- A harbour cruise where your boat will be positioned on the harbour with many others all getting close to the action
- Visiting a friend who has a great view from their home – if you’re lucky!
- Renting an apartment or hotel room with a view – this will be expensive as the number of hotel rooms with the right view is limited.
- Going to a restaurant which has a view like Aria or Bennelong at the Sydney Opera House or check out the Internet, such as https://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/nsw/sydney and search for restaurants with a water view in the CBD or Eastern Suburbs or North Sydney.
- Another option is “Midnight at the Oasis” and “Lawn with a View” outdoor events in the Royal Botanic Gardens where you can pay for tickets in advance and food is provided.
Many hotels and apartments in the city are booked out well in advance for New Year’s Eve as it is peak time in Sydney. It may be difficult finding an affordable, cheap room. You may have more luck finding a hotel slightly out of the city centre.
University Stays offers private ensuite double rooms and standard single student rooms over the summer holiday period when the students are on holidays. These are a great alternative to cheap Hotel or Hostel rooms or an apartment. Whether you are looking for a budget hotel or a private room in a hostel for Sydney New Year’s Eve you will find this University accommodation offers great value. Rooms from AU$90 per night.
In case the booking form, map and information regarding individual residences do not show below, please click on ‘Click here to make a booking’ link below to show all details.
Your browser does not appear to support frames. Please click here to go to the booking system.